1Kings 19:2-3 NKJV Then Jezebel sent a messenger to Elijah, saying, “So let the gods do to me, and more also, if I do not make your life as the life of one of them by tomorrow about this time.” (3) And when he saw that, he arose and ran for his life, and went to Beersheba, which belongs to Judah, and left his servant there.
Elijah, just experienced probably THE greatest ministerial high of his life. He had some back to back to back up close and personal encounters of the GOD kind, where he was used in some mighty ways and was greatly anointed by the Spirit of God to boldly proclaim His Name and move in Supernatural ways to show forth the power and reality of God to His backslidden people. Let’s review again the highlights of what took place.
- He challenged 450 prophets of Baal to a showdown. Spent all day ridiculing them, while they jumped, shouted, cut themselves, etc… Nothing happened.
- He has them waterlog his sacrifice and altar to the Lord with 12 water pots of water so that the water filled the entire trench around the water. Then when he called on the name of the Lord, fire fell and consumed the offering, the logs, the rocks, the dust, and every drop of water.
- The people rose up and seized the prophets of Baal, they once feared and looked to.
- He prayed for rain that hasn’t fallen in 3 years and the rain cloud appeared.
- After giving King Ahab a head start in his chariot, Elijah, anointed by God, outran the horses and beat King Ahab back to the city.
Talk about a wild day. Elijah just had the most incredible jam packed excitement and “high” of his life moving in great power for and by the Spirit of God, now Jezebel says she is going to have him killed and he is running scared like a little girl. He just stood up to the King, 450 prophets of Baal, and a people that weren’t too please to see him, then fear gripped him at the word of one woman. Listen up… Every great spiritual, emotional, and even natural high has an opportunity for a BIG fall. The enemy knows you are most susceptible in your lowest of lows and your highest of highs. He is consistent and predictable. The attack will come… You might as well get ready for it. The good news is if you stay prepared, you can enjoy all the good things God is doing in your life; the increase of joy, peace, provision, prosperity, health, his sweet presence and more in abundance and then recognize when the attack comes. Then instead of being totally deflated and running off into the wilderness you can say… Oh it’s just that and go on.
Mark 4:15 talks about how the enemy coming quickly to snatch and destroy the Word that has been received and is beginning to grow. Fear is one of the tools he uses to steal the work of God and what has been planted in us. Don’t let the devil steal your seed. Don’t let him turn your mountain top experience into a valley. Recognize the attack when it comes and stay steady, the God that has done a mighty work in you and brought you out this far, showed himself alive and true to you, provided for you in the midst of your drought, and has swept you up and seated with Him in the heavenlies will sustain you and bring you through. Recognize the attack, stay steady and Fear Not!